Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thought Sisters

Have you ever felt that you share exactly the same thoughts with somebody you don’t even know in person?

I did.

It may not be a very thought-provoking thought. A thought as simple as reading book while travelling is far better than dozing off to kill time (especially when we are travelling through the same old mundane urban roads) or as crazy as a few drops of spilled water is like a huge swimming pool for ants.

Whenever someone expresses or shares something that seems like a photo copy of my thoughts, I go through a weird roller coaster ride of emotions. I feel surprised, happy, awestruck, confused and introspective – all at one time.

And this is exactly what I felt when I read Sunday’s EYE – a weekly mag that comes with Indian Express. Nonita Kalra, the IE columnist and editor-in-chief of Elle India pounced on the reality shows of the day in her feature, ‘The Ugly Story’.

Now you must be thinking, today 99.99% of the population raves about the reality ruckus in some way or the other. What’s the big deal!

But, there is a big deal!

While talking about how reality TV is becoming like a road kill, she talked about a few shows most talked about – Big Boss (no other show has guts to overcome this one when it comes to being a mollycoddle of controversy), Top Chef, Hell’s Kitchen and Keeping up with the Kadarshians. She also debunked the ‘tribe of actors who spend their lives going from one reality show to another’, and how hysteria becomes inseparable like a pathetic endoparasite thriving on internal organs of the host creature.

But, in the midst of all these accusations and criticisms, one thing she wrote really made me feel like we are thought-sisters.

In her writing, she very beautifully appreciated the MasterChef Australia – my personal favourite reality show of the hour, despite of me not being a cooking-lover!

If given a chance to meet Ms. Kalra, all I would like to say is, “I agree with every single thought, ever single word, every single alphabet you wrote about the show. Here’s a toast for our Siamese-twins-like trains of thoughts running on parallel tracks!”

:)

2 Write your comment:

nonita kalra said...

I just read this piece and wanted to thank you for your generous words. I would love to connect with you -- why don't you find me on Facebook & drop me a line?

leopiya said...

Wow.. just.. wow!

I never imagined that you'd reply, or even come across it for that matter! (Million thanks to the world wide web!)

Thank you for reading the piece and liking it too.

I would have definitely loved to connect with you on Facebook, but couldn't find you there. :(

I hope we do connect some day, in some way... :)