Friday, July 1, 2011

To celebrate or not to celebrate...

Okay, at the outset, let me make it very clear that this post does not mean to make any political inclinations towards or aversions against any political party, body or a member of society.

Yesterday, while sipping through hot coffee, my phone beeped. It was yet another marketing SMS from an unknown number. I opened it insipidly and read ‘Anna Hazare Anshan will start from 16th August.’

The moment I finished reading it, I very instinctively blurted out, “That’s it! I am not going to celebrate this birthday!” The person sitting across the table asked why, and I realised the gravity of my impulsive decision. I made him understand the reason behind it, on which he didn’t comment much.

The topic was closed then and there.

But today, when I rethink over it, the feeling of going by the decision grows stronger and stronger in my mind.

Perhaps, my decision is purely out of guilt for not doing much to support Anna’s last act of protest. Simply ‘liking’ it on Facebook or being Anna’s fan on FB Fan Page doesn’t help, right?

Sometimes, we feel ourselves to be very common to take uncommon steps like participating in social commotions, protests, rallies or any other initiatives taken for the betterment of the society. After all, how will I as ‘Aam Janta’ make a difference? And if the difference can be made, there are thousand others to do that, why bother?

But there are thousand others who think the same. That’s the quirk of fate in this country!

Everybody thinks ‘why me’ and does nothing. And I, disgracefully, fall in the same category.

But there’s one Anna Hazare – a 71 year old man fighting for civil rights of a young country like India.

Now coming to my hasty decision –

16th August happens to be my birthday. And it will be morally wrong to celebrate while a 71 year old man is going on a hunger strike for me as an Indian. While I will be cutting my birthday cake, he’ll be trying to cut a deal with the Government.

I am too small to do anything radical as going on hunger strike (again a typical hypocrite statement). But I can always contribute as much as I can and be there with him in spirits.

Annaji, I am with you!

2 Write your comment:

ccw said...

Good thought and hope u stay by ur word :)
Unfortunately, It does not matter in this Selfish India which doesnt care what the hell is going on, unless there is a bargain in for them.. I know ppl who do not donate blood coz they thnk it infect them or y to waste my blood.. such is our country..n mind u i m talkin abt d ypung n educated.. :P

leopiya said...

I will abide by every word of it...
No cake cutting. No fine dining. No drinking.