Monday, September 1, 2008

Welcoming the Magician

I stepped out of my office. It was just an ordinary night. Dark streets were glistening as it was drizzling nonstop that day. I slipped on my rain jacket and made myself ready to roll.
Raindrops started thumping my forehead and slid to the tip of my Nubian nose. So, I covered my head in the hood of my jacket. I didn’t want to fall sick again. (Just recovered from viral infection)
However, I preferred walking over traveling by jam-packed bus, especially when it was raining so gently.
I reached half the way and thought of taking a short cut from one of those Lalbaug lanes to my home. My steps turned towards the lane, mind flooded with several random thoughts, head bent down to save myself from the uninterrupted attack of droplets.
And only then did I notice something different! There was something new in that street. The pave blocks. The red blocks seemed to be fixed recently. I looked around and the freshness in the air took me by surprise.
Everything around me looked so fresh! The shops turned bright and colourful. There were garlands, both natural and artificial, heaps of gulaal, kumkum and haldi, a variety of bright bulbs, flashy lights, and loads of other pious articles. The air was filled with the fragrance of essence sticks and sweets made from pure ghee.
People were buying stuffs in lots. Huge shopping bags often banged on the passersby and pedestrians often stamped on each others feet. But, nobody complained or gave dirty looks to each other. Shopkeepers, hawkers, buyers and the kids accompanying their parents, all were in high spirits. The smiles on their faces reflected the euphoria in their hearts.
And then I realized that the magic of festivity and celebration had cast its spell on all of them. And the spellbound city is now all set to welcome the magician himself!

1 Write your comment:

Me said...

Wow. that's a nice way of writing. Cool.